Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Greetings from Ghana

I made it! I officially made it to Accra!

The flights were good, no major mishaps except the little girl that dumped her orange juice on the floor and having to go through London security twice due to my own bad sense of direction. Regardless, they were great and I am happy to be here.

I really like my peers. They are from all over, most at from either the west or east coast of the US. Right now we are staying at a hotel for orientation, but thursday we will move to our homestay homes and meet our families. I'm excited for that.

Today, we were introduced to the program as a whole and given an over view of where will be traveling and what we will be doing. We are really going to get to see Ghana, which is wonderful. We will begin here in Accra, but in 2 weeks we will head for Asante country and be there for another 2 weeks. Then its to northern Ghana, then back south to visit cape coast and the central area. Finally, before we start our final month of research, we will go to the Volta region, then back to Accra. It's going to be quite a trip!

Some of the things that we will be studying and participating in include:

Batik
Weaving
Beading
Ceramics
Dance
Drumming
Basket Weaving

...just to name a few.

Speaking of names, here are those of my peers:

Mara, Lydia, Amanda, Trina, Laura, Megan, Megan, Natalie, Claire, Grace, Paco *yes the only guy, Jessie, Izabel, and myself :)

Well, got to go, my internet is about to run out. Keep a look out for more posts!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rachel,

    Glad to read you're havin' fun. We miss you at the Drexel and Radio Cafe. Wouldn't you know it the first Friday your gone, they forgot to open up the Radio Cafe for us?

    Let's us know what going on.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete