Friday, September 4, 2009

The adventures of Rachel and the Chro-Chro!

Chro-Chros are the Ghanaian equivalent of a city bus. The concept is the same, but chro-chros take more liberty with traffic laws, cost less, and provide a thrilling adventure while traveling through Accra. Also, Chro-Chros are basically glorified 15 passanger euro-vans that are brightly colored, slightly run down, and boast loud music. There is a driver, or course, and a mate. The mate calls out where the Chro-Chro is headed and takes the money from you once you get off.

This morning, at 6:30AM, I embarked on my Chro-Chro adventure. Fortunately, the people in Ghana are so friendly that I was able to get serious help while searching for the Medina/Legon chro-chro.

Once on the Chro-Chro, I met a woman named Na who was very nice and quite friendly. She also saved my life because I did not realize I needed to get off when I did and nearly missed my stop. She called out to the mate and we abruptly swung off the paved road onto the dusty, sandy shoulder and I promptly hopped out, not forgetting to thank Na of course.

Then I crossed 4 lanes of traffic with my bright yellow backpack facing the front, sweating, smiling, and enjoying my first day at the Institute of African Studies :)

p.s. BEACH TOMORROW! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment