Wednesday, November 25, 2009

November: The Season of ISPs

I am sooo bad at blogging sometimes. I wish I had a video blog. I think I would be better at that. Plus I am a ham...

Anyway, so for the month of November I have been living in Kumasi, Ghana doing a research project on the Akan Adinkra Symbols and their use in the arts. I've loved researching this topic because the resources are readily available, yet the common knowledge about the symbols is less than presence. Most people see these symbols everyday, yet they have no idea what they mean. It's been fun to discover how art has had a large hand in preserving the symbols, but also how it could progress and change in ways that could better educate the general population about their meaning.

But enough of that boring academic stuff. Here are some highlights from my stay with the Andoh family. Just so you know, there are tons of kids, lots of noise and laughs, plus the power goes out at least once a day:

*One day, I brought home a dvd with 30 michael jackson videos on it. Upon putting it in, myself and 8 of my siblings broke into a Michael Jackson dance party that lasted 1 hour.

*There is a drink here in Ghana, distributed by Guiness, called Alvaro. It's a soda that comes in pinapple and pear flavors. PEAR IS TO DIE FOR! I love it and I have maybe one everyday. My siblings find this funny and love to tell me that "Alvaro will kill you." They also convinced Kwadwo, my 1 year old brother, that my name is Alvaro. Needless to say, that is what he calls me.

*For the past few days I have been greeted in the morning my my brothers Kobby and Kwadwo wearing shirts, socks, shoes - yet no pants. (they are 5 and 1year)

*Kobby turned 5 a few days ago. Natalie, my American friend, and I bought him a small drum. He loved it. I beat it senselessly. The head broke in 5 minutes.

*My sisters and I sat out on the porch one night and made little purses out of scrap fabric and small zippers that I bought for 10 peswas each (that's less than 1 cent). It was a lot of fun :)

*I got my sister Christy 2 dvds of American hip hop. Needless to say, there was a second dance party - but this time it was in the shop she runs and replace the Michael Jackson with Beyonce's "Single Ladies"

Basically, I have loved my time here in Kumasi. I am sad to be going to Cape Coast tomorrow because it means leaving my family. But it's ok. I miss the US too. I will be back in 2 weeks so watch out! Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment